Saturday, March 28, 2009

3 Years Ago this Week

I just realized that three years ago this week I returned home from my mission in the Southside of Chicago. Which means five years ago this week I first entered the MTC. It is really crazy how time goes by so fast. I look back on my mission with great fondness, it was in the field and on the streets of Chicago that I really grew up. I was forced to. I was 2,000 miles away from everyone I knew and from anyone that really knew me. In the beginning I was scared, not really sure why exactly I was out there, and really afraid that I wouldn't succeed. I didn't have my mom and dad to run to, to tell how I felt, and to ask advice. I didn't have any friends that I could vent to, that I could be around just to make myself feel better. I only had one source of strength and comfort to turn to - Jesus Christ.

I decided that first night in the mission home that I was going to give it my all. And I did, try really hard to do just that, I studied, I prayed, I tracted, I taught, I even baptized a few times. I never became unafraid, not really of the areas I was in- there were some shady ones- but I was never afraid to be in them, I was afraid of failing. Of missing that person that I needed to find, of letting down that One person who I realized was the only person I could lean on. I was afraid that there was going to be someone who needed to know who the Savior is and that I might not be there to tell them. I tried really hard to be successful, and I hope that I was, I never was able to quantify what being a successful missionary was. My mission meant everything to me, for the longest time that was all I could think about. I still think about it almost every day. There is always something that reminds me of it.












I miss how sure of everything I was. I knew that God loved me, that Jesus died for my sins, that there is a plan for me to return to live with them someday. I knew it, I fully believed it, and I taught it with the conviction of knowing it. Then three years ago I came home, back to the world I left behind.

Realizing how long ago it was that I came home from the mish has led me to some serious introspection. The real world hit me faster than I was prepared for. I started to slip into the old routine of things, casually forgetting to say a prayer at night, not reading my scriptures. And I have realized how easily not doing those two things makes it to not do other things. Someone once told me that the only way you really could measure a successful missionary was a few years after they got home, by the way they were living. If that is the case I feel like a failure.

I have lost that surety that I once had. I have let my testimony slide. I feel like one of my favorite church paintings....well almost. Here it is and then I will explain.

The painting is by Greg Olsen and it is called "Lost and Found". It is a painting that I have always loved and kept in my room. Right now more than ever does it make sense to me. I feel very lost. I know that I have to make a decision soon if I want to be found. Right now I am the boy in the picture. I can see Christ on the park bench a little ways in the distance, and I know He is saving a place for me on that bench. That as soon as I sit down next to Him, He will hug me, tell me He has missed me, and as I try to explain why I left the bench three years ago, He will tell me that it doesn't matter, that I am here now, and what matters is what I do from here on out. He will let me know that He will be there for me when I am tempted to get up off the bench if I want Him to be. I turn around and I can see another life,it is just as inviting but the the pathway down is a little darker, more mysterious, but enticing, and I have to decide now which direction I am going to start walking towards. In the last three years I have semi-unconsciously taken a few steps away from the park bench. Now I realize that I have to consciously decide what I direction I need to take.

I have avoided making this decision for as long as I can take, I procrastinate everything I do, but the deadline is up, if I continue to procrastinate I know I will be taking a few more steps away from the park bench, and I don't think I can afford to do that if I want to make a fully conscious decision.

The decision should be easy, I know the outcome of taking steps towards the park bench, I know that it leads to a fulfilling happiness, or at least that it has in the past. Taking steps in the other direction lead me to short lived moments of extreme happiness that leave you with a dull feeling inside once they leave, making me do whatever it takes to get my next fix.

And so it goes, B-rad at the apex of a crossroads, at home plate ready to bat. The pitcher is ready to throw the ball and I have to decide if I am going to swing or not. And if I do swing am I really going to go for it-the ball out of the park home run, or am I going to hit a pop fly, guaranteed to get myself out.

I don't know why I am writing this here, for the world (also known as the four of you who read this) to see, but I felt like I had to. I wish I had the certainty that I once had, where I knew the answers or at least really knew who I could turn to for the answers.

Anyways thanks for listening, I am sure the decision I make will be evident, I should probably stop blogging in the middle of the night, maybe I will just delete this, chances are I will probably fall asleep and forget I ever wrote it until a week from now....or most likely after American Idol and I come on here to blog my opinion of the week and realize how lame I am for writing this. oh well I will leave it on here, so I don't feel like I have wasted the last hour and a half. For now I am going to go pass out on my bed for hopefully ten hours, wake up ready for a new day of soul searching and decision making.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I am glad you wrote this post! Not lame at all! I use my blog to vent and talk about the things most important to me and I think everyone should! Kudos to you Brad. I have thought about all things you are talking about(except the mission stuff) I just start out by including him a little more each day and I found that it has blessed my life in ways I don't always recognize. I know if you do the same that will happen for you. Good luck my friend! I think you are great!

Leigh said...

My best wishes in your quest, Brad.

Chelsi Archibald said...

I'm glad you left it up! I absolutely love the pictures from your mission! They are so awesome. I'm totally jealous that you have that experience under your belt and hopefully someday I will too.

I definitely know how you feel about being lost. It is interesting when you are so used to just "knowing" because you have the spirit with you so strong and then to have that diminish. There have been times in my life when I didn't have two pennies to rub together, but I just knew. I don't know how to explain it except that I knew that all is well, life is happy and good and that HF has my back. When that spirit diminishes its like all of a sudden you have anxiety. You are freaking out because you aren't letting God call the shots anymore and you don't trust him like you should. Prayer and scripture study are definitely key components to that.

I don't doubt that you are going to get back in the groove of things very soon. I also know that you are doing an awesome job since your mission. I know you too well to know that you haven't given up on making the world a better place.

Thanks for the great message of hope.

aje said...

Wow. What a great post. I'm also glad you left it up. I don't think it was lame. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings - I think that shows your true nature and that you are still influencing lives for the better even now that you are "off your mission". It was nice to see ("read") a side of you I rarely get to see. Again - great post.