Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Tuesday's Top Ten.......a day late. Sorry

My top 10 Favorite Books:

1. The Outsiders: This is a book that I first read when I was in the 6th grade and have probably read it once a year since then. I am a lot like Poneyboy, the main character in the book, in the way I think and the way I act. If you wanted to know what a 14 year old Brad was like then read the Outsiders. It is a book completely meant for teenagers and is full of teenage angst but it is very compelling and a solid read. Also what is amazing is the author, S.E. Hinton, was 15 when she started writing it.

2. To Kill A Mockingbird: This is a toss up for the number one spot. I can read it a billion times and never get sick of it. Harper Lee was amazing. It involves one of my favorite topics: civil rights and racial equality. I want to be Atticus Finch one day. Also I got the nickname Boo-Radley from my 12th grade AP Lit class. Not because I resemble Boo in anyway but it just fit my name well. Also not because they were booing me.

3. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn: Mark Twain is a great author and social satirist. This is my favorite book that he has written.

4. The Count of Monte Cristo: Classic. It is such an awesome book about revenge. Soooo good.

5. Peter Pan: This is my favorite kids story and it is a really good book. I highly reccomend it.

6. There Are No Children Here: This is a great book. It is about a sociologist who followed two kids growing up in the projects on the southwest side of Chicago and the struggles that they faced on a daily basis. After living in the Southside for two years it is a perfect description of how life is really like in the ghettos of Chi-town.

7. Oh The Places You'll Go: You can't have a top ten book list and not have a Dr. Seuss book. One of my high school coaches gave this book to me as a graduation present and it has a lot of inspirational tips in it.

8. The Audacity of Hope: This is by Barrack Obama and it describes perfectly how politics should be ran. It is a great read.

9. Of Mice and Men: This is a really great book. It has been a while since I read it but I really enjoyed reading it.

10. Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl/ The Scarlet Letter: These are both books that I read in high school and they are great. Anne Frank gives a first hand perspective of what it was like to be Jewish in Nazi controlled Europe. It is an amazing book. The Scarlet Letter deserves props because it really makes you think about how judgmental human nature is, especially under the guise of religion. I couldn't leave either out.

Now the first five are solid in my top ten favorite books. The others are subject to change as I read new books and like them more.

0 comments: