Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Tuesday's Top Ten

This is going to be a sentimental top ten. I turn 23 on Friday and have been thinking a lot lately about the different people who have, for better or worse, helped me become the person that I am today. This is going to exclude the obvious spiritual answers like God and Jesus and some of the spiritual leaders that definately have influenced my life like Joseph Smith and Gordon B. Hinckley, and is going to focus on a more temporal nature.

1. My Dad. For those who have had the opportunity to meet my Dad and have a conversation with him know what kind of man he is. He is the best Dad anyone could ever ask for and one of the best examples of what it means to be a good man. He is kind, genorous, a natural leader, and a gentleman. My dad is the kind of man who will go without, or sacrifice whatever it takes to make sure that those he loves will never go without anything. He was an elders quorum president at 25, a high councilman by 27 and a bishop at 30. A spiritual giant that is always a source of strength when I need some serious counciling. He has been married to my mom for 27 years and still opens the car door for her everytime she gets in the car. If I could only be half the man my dad is I will be a lucky man.

2. My Momma. My mom and dad are interchangable at 1 and 2. My mom has been present at basically every important moment of my life, she makes sure of it. She is supportive, loving, and a constant example of goodness. I really couln't ask for better parents. This also includes my bro and two younger sisters who have obviously shaped my life tremendously.

3. My Gramps. My Grandpa Cummings is the funniest person that I know. If I ever need a cheering up I know all that I have to do is give gramps a call and he will have me laughing within seconds of him picking up the phone. I think I get my sense of humor from him. This also includes my Grandma Love, who is the most defensive grandma in the world. Don't ever mess with me because if you do, you will have to deal with her. She is great, if you don't mess with one of her grandkids you will know her as one of the nicest people you know.

4. My Grandpa Don. He is very quiet and reserved but will get you with these amazingly funny one liners that catch you off guard. I think I get my liberalness from him, he is the only democrat in the family. A quick story about why I love my grandpa so much is in high school I decided to take up tennis. I got really into it. I played it all the time and couldn't stop talking about it. My grandpa is from Laramie Wyoming, not a place known for its tennis knowledge, but ever since I started to play he has started watching it so he could call me and talk about what was happening. He calls me everytime a political debate is going to be on, or whenever one of my favorite tennis players are going to be playing so I don't miss it. This of course includes my Grandma Myrtle, she is the epitome of a loving grandma and one of the best cooks I know.

5. Big Poppa and the Shaner and Mark and Andrew. Big Poppa is Ben and the Shaner is Shane and they were all companions or basically companions of mine while I was in Chicago. Although I don't get to see them as much as I want I know that they will always be good friends of mine. Especially Shane and Ben they will always be two of my best buddies. Also I think the A-team deserves some recognition here. Dionne and Amber are two of my best friends as well.


Left Pic: Shane, me, and Ben.


Bottom Right: Mark and Me
Bottom Left: Andrew and Me




















6. My varsity debate class. I know this is going to sound really weird but this entire class has had one of the biggest effects on my life. I gained some of my best friends from this class and am so greatful for having been a part of it. It brought together 20 kids from all over the social spectrum and somehow we all became really good friends. There are some in the class who had a bigger effect than others namely Shulz, Chelsi, Cole, Leigh, Cristel and Klay. They were a big part of why my senior year rocked.

7. My other group of friends. This is Kristy, Chelsie, Missy, Scottie, Shari, and Eric. This was a constant gang of friends from high school that for the most part I am still in good contact with.
My Roy friends go here as well. I was split between my friends that went to Fremont and those that went to Roy. They were a ton of fun and unfortunately I only talk to one of them. Sad how things change. Anyways they are Lisa, Megan, Bateman, Logan, Crystal and Jake. From Dam Tuesdays, to trampoline movie nights, to me and logan having Lisa bleach our hair, we had some sweet times.


8. President and Sister Haines: This was my mission president and his wife. I have not looked up to a man, excluding my father, more than President Haines. He taught me and forced me to become a leader and I am so grateful for that knowledge. Both President and Sister Haines have helped me change in so many undescribable ways, and all for the better. I love and miss them a lot.


9. My friends from the 'Ko. I originally went to work there to work with one of my friends who ended up quitting a few months after I started but gained some friends that I know I will have for a very long time. The business of life makes it so we can only all get together like four or five times a year but everytime we do it rocks. Heather, Bob, Jamie, Chris, and Shantel. Good times, everytime I have a sucky day at my job now I think about quitting and going back.....unfortunately Heather is the only one still there so it wouldn't do me too much good to do that.

10. My Grandma Rosie. She was one of the first people that I had a really personal relationship with when I was in Chicago. We clicked from the first day I met her. It was like we had known eachother for a very long time. Just thinking about her I get teary eyed. For those of you who have had the chance to meet her know exactly what I am talking about. I miss her a lot and can't wait until I get to see her in heaven.

0 comments: