Thursday, March 6, 2008

Random thoughts on my Birthday Eve.

So as many of you know it is my birthday tomorrow and I will be turning the big 23. Birthdays are so weird on so many different levels. I will admit it is nice having people make a big fuss over you and being the center of attention for a few days. Normally I don't get that unless I am acting in all sorts of foolishness-which for those of you who actually know me outside of a work or school setting, and actually really know me, know that I do all the time. Isn't weird how you have a lot of different sides to you. I have noticed it a lot lately, at least in my life, how differently I act when I am around different people.
At school I am pretty laid back and quiet, it seems to be the easiest way to not get on a teachers bad side-this I had to learn the hard way. I am a sarcastic guy, and yes I know sarcasm is supposed to be the lowest form of comedy, but it is some funny shiz sometimes. So this one time in one of my classes I was chosen to be the moderator of a class debate. The professor called us all up to the front stuck me in the middle between the two groups and said, "Okay Brad, you are in charge for the rest of the class time." So I replied, "Thats perfect. A's for all of us and class dismissed." Then I started putting my books and notebook back in my backpack and got up like I was going to leave....No one really got it was a joke-especially the professor. And for that comment I got a C on that project. A friggin C because I told a joke. He wrote on my grading sheet that I set the wrong tone for such a serious topic as the war in Iraq. Luckily I am basically brilliant and aced my midterm and final and pulled an A- out of the class. Ever since then I have learned that maybe being silly in college is not going to be as successful as it was in high school.
Then you have the work Brad. There is a place where I am not quite sure how I am supposed to act. I sometimes feel like I am trying to do this balancing act of somewhere between my funny self and someone who is supposed to be fairly professional. Somedays it works and somedays it doesn't. I don't think their ready for this jelly. One thing I am there is a hard worker, that is for sure. Sometimes I work my butt off and at the end of the day wonder why? I have been there for almost two years and am in the same spot I was when I started with slightly higher pay. Oh well, I could complain about that all friggin day long and it will do me no real good except put me in a bad mood. I hate being in a bad mood. I have made a lot of really good work friends there, which is always nice to have. It would suck to have a job without having good work friends. So thank you ladies in IP- you rock.

Then there is the Salt Lake Brad. This is a toned down version of the real me. I think that is because I really don't know very many people here, and am not quite sure how those around me will react to who I am. Its weird I have never had this problem until now. My friends from up north will call me a lot of things but one of them is not shy or quiet. There are a few people down here that I am not like that with, like Amber and Ben, and sometimes the roomies, but for the most part I am more reserved. Most of my friends either live an hour north or an hour south of here. But I am so grateful for Amber and Jesse and Wes, they are awesome and am so glad to have them as friends that I do stuff with on the regular. They are great.
Then there is me back home with my fam and with my long time friends. It is always interesting to watch people in their element because that is where you get to see the real them. The uninhibited them. And I am no different. I have some pretty rad friends that I have had for years-and we have some pretty rad times. It is the funnest time, now only if they would move to Salt Lake. Oh well they can't be down here for the same reasons I can't be up north anymore- it is better for future plans that we are where we are.
So I know that I am rambling on and it is late and I am tired so this probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but oh well. Blogs rarely make sense right?

1 comments:

mccall said...

b-rad, you're the freakin' best. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DUDE! i'm glad you work here @ good ole K&M, even if you don't feel like workin' your butt off gets you anywhere. (welcome to the club, my friend).