Tuesday, January 6, 2009

2009 - The Year of B-rad

2008 with its ups and downs has taught me one thing: that I have got to live for myself. I have spent a good deal of my time trying to live to make other people happy. I don't know if it was out of obligation or just trying to be a good person or to have others believe that I am a good person, but I have learned especially lately that I cannot do that any longer. It feels good to make other people happy, but I have learned that you, well at least I, cannot find real happiness in just trying to make others happy.

2008 was the year of Brad the doormat. Me and a friend were talking about some of the happenings in my life and she said Brad don't let yourself be the doormat. Probably the best advice I have gotten in a long time. During some serious introspection at the typical end of the year resonance period and due to some things that a different friend said that really made me question who I am. I have always thought if I was one thing, I am a good and loyal friend. I am the person people feel totally fine calling at two in the morning to talk about a problem, the person that takes someone out of town when they just need to get away and escape life, the excuse someone can use to get out of a bad date, an unwanted family event, etc. The person that if you tell a secret to and asked not to tell will take whatever it is to the grave. I am a vault.

What I have noticed is that I have spent way too much time trying to make my friends happy that I really have started to lose some of the qualities that I need to have to make myself happy, since I have learned I can't make my friends happy all of the time, I should just focus on what really makes myself happy. With this new plan don't worry ya'll, if you need to talk at 2 in the a.m. I am still awake, give me a holla, and you know I am always up for a spur of the moment vacate, but I am going to do things differently. I am not your doormat anymore.

This is the year where I get my life back on track, the year that I live my life for me and not for anyone else. I need to rediscover who I really am and not define myself by what ya'll think of me. Recent events in life have kinda shattered the one thing that I thought I was good at and it has really got me thinking of what I really need to do in life. I need to get comfortable in my own skin again. I kinda lost that this past year and I miss that self assurance that I had in who I am.

So here's to 2009 a year to redefine, reshape, and be happier.

6 comments:

Leigh said...

Woohoo! That is awesome, and you deserve it!

Missy said...

Yea Brad! You will rock the party even more than you already do!!! People suck! Oh and could you tell me again how to think about you know what....I can't think by myself like a big kid can.

Chelsi Archibald said...

Here Here!! Way to go Brad! You rock! And I know the year 2009 is going to rock for you as well :) You deserve the best of the best!

Cristel said...

Bradley I just love you. I hope you all the happiness in the world!

Anonymous said...

I think thats awesome Bradley! You deserve to be happy. :)

Christa said...

yes!!! I wish I would have read this earlier. I fully support you in this and will be sure to keep you on track. :)