Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Tuesday's Top Ten

I read on a friend of mine's blog this idea of creating a top ten list on random Tuesdays and have decided to steal it so I can have something to blog about. So here it goes my top ten favorite musicians:
1. The Beatles: I have grown to love and respect the Beatles more than any other music artists out there. They have the best selection of songs to choose from and have experimented with so many types of music that they cross into so many genres. They have defined what great music is in the 20th Century. With songs like "Hey Jude," "Yesterday," "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," "Let it Be," "Helter Skelter," and "Strawberry Fields Forever" who could compete?
2. The Killers: This has become a band that I really appreciate. Their sound is a throwback to the English invasion sound of the early sixties mixed with an alternative sound that makes them really unique. All three of their cd's out are great each having at least five great songs, five good songs, and a few songs that are just okay. Not bad for an album. Their lyrics are great, their sound is great, overall an awesome band.
3. Lauryn Hill: I have loved Lauryn ever since 1998. I remember first seeing the music video for "Doo Wop" at my friends house because my parents had blocked MTV from our house. Ever since then I have been addicted. I have gone back and listened to the Fugees which she was a part of, but her solo career is what I really love. She blends a combination of R&B, Hip Hop, and rap that is really amazing to listen to. She has a really soulful voice and she writes a tight lyric. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is one of my most listened to albums ever. And recenty she released a song called "Lose Yourself" on the Surfs Up soundtrack that could be my favorite song of hers.
4. Blink 182: I know I will catch a lot of flack for this one, but my jr. high and high school days would not have been the same without them. And for all those who say they sold out, I want to fight. Warning: I have big muscles, some say the biggest in the world. They brought punk mainstream, in order to do so they needed to sign with a real label, so to the few who knew Blink before Enema of the State, congratulations, I did as well, but you sold out on them. They were still great after Enema. This also includes all subsequent bands that have formed out of the break up of Blink- Boxcar Racer, Angels and Airwaves, and +44.
5. Bob Dylan: Another of the all time greats in Rock and Roll. I will make a bold statement and say that he is one of the top two best song writers of all time. John Lennon is his only competition. I know a lot don't like his voice but I think it is original. His folk stuff is great and once he went electric he continued on with creating excellent music.
6. Journey: I love 80's music in all of its horribleness. But Journey somehow rose above most bad 80's music and produced some really great stuff. Steve Perry the lead singer has one of the best voices ever. This is the music I grew up listening to with my two aunts who used to babysit me. I have loved them ever since. Their best of album is one that is constantly switched in and out of my cd player.
7. Alicia Keys: I have had a major crush for Alicia ever since "Fallin" first burst out onto the scene. She has one of the best voices of all time and she writes her own stuff. It is hard to find female r&b musicians who actually do that. She is talented, smart, and freaking hot. I could listen to her all day long.
8. The Ataris: This is a band that also reminds me of my high school days and some of my best friends. I love good lyrics and this band has made some of the most quotable lyrics ever. Here is my favorite, "So long astoria i found a map to buried treasureand even if we come home empty handed we'll still have our stories of battle scars, pirate ships and wounded hearts, broken bones, and all the best of friendships and when this hourglass has filtered out its final grain of sand i raise my glass to the memories we had this is my wish this is my wish im takin back im takin them all back" This band always puts me in a good mood.
9. Smokey Robinson: If I could sing like anyone in the world it might be Smokey. His voice is so good. He can go really high and really low. I think it takes someone with a lot of talent to continue to be in the music business as long as he has and still be successful. Smokey is awesome.
10. Green Day: Again my high school life requires that this band be on my list. I love a lot of their songs and they are the first band I saw preform live in concert. They started me on an illustrious career of concert going that I had while I was in high school and everytime I listen to them it makes me want to do it again.

Well this is not an all time favorite list I don't think that it is possible to make one. But as of right at this moment it will suffice. There are a ton of others I wish I could put up there but can't. Hope you enjoy the list. Let me know what you think.

1 comments:

jaimey said...

Hey, Brad! Thanks for making a comment on my blog. I love comments. And yours was so nice! :) Your blog is totally coming along, and I love that you're doing top ten Tuesdays. :) I must admit, I have a total soft spot for Journey, too. I mean, come on . . . "Separate Ways" is so classic. I also really love the Beatles, the Killers, and I think the Green Day was one of my first cd's that I listened to in its entirety over and over and over. Except I was a freshman in college, not in high school. :P Anyway, awesome list, Brad!