Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas




I watched this movie last night and it blew my mind. It is one of the best Holocaust movies I have ever seen. Probably right under Schindler's List and tied with the old school black and white version of The Diary of Anne Franke. It is an Israeli film telling the story of a boy who's father is a German soldier during World War II. That is all I will tell you because I am afraid if I say anything more it could spoil a little part of it and I like you all too much to do that. Just please see this movie. It is short, only PG-13, and seriously a great film- that is if you can handle depressing Holocaust like movies.

I love these types of movies. I like them because they are real. In reality you don't fall in love with someone through their son calling a radio station and saying that he needs a new mom or a rich businessman picking up a prostitute with a heart of gold blah blah blah (referncing Pretty Woman and Sleepless in Seatle). Real life can kind of suck sometimes, and every once and a while it is refreshing to see a film that doesn't shy away from reality, that tell it to you in a way that makes it so you are speechless and drained of energy at the end of the film, but leave you to wake up the next morning making you think of what can I do to make the world a better place, a place where there will never be another Holocaust again, where people treat each other decently just because that is the way it should be.

I know liberal idealist bull, but nice thoughts to think about. Maybe it takes seeing things like that to wake me up from a simplistic every day nerf life where a bad day consists of waking up before 9 in the AM or catching the common cold or having to do the dishes.

Anyways, sorry for the long absence in blogging, I am back from school caused hiatus, and will hopefully be able to fill you in more on my life and my never ending rants on the way things should be (see above rant).

Coming soon: After I watch Frost/Nixon a list of my nominations for best films, actors, actresses, etc for last years movies. I think that is the last one on the list of all the oscar nominated films that I haven't seen yet. So that will be neat-gives you something to look forward to.

2 comments:

mccall said...

confession: i just read this ENTIRE post thinking it was my other friend named brad. wow, that was seriously weird.

Chelsi Archibald said...

I love movie reviews. I'm always looking for good flicks to see. This sounds really great. We need more from the mind of Brad.