Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The B-radley's

It is now finally time for me to give out my picks for the best movies of last year. Kind of like the oscars but not gay and slightly less anticipated. It took me a while to see all of the movies that were nominated for awards but I have now done it with the exception of Vicki Christina Barcelona, and I really don't have any desire to see that movie. Penelope Cruz is not that talented in my opinion and Scarlett Johanson has potential but picks stupid movies to do. So that one will not be counted. So here it goes.

Best Supporting Actress
- Amy Adams (Doubt)
-Viola Davis (Doubt)
- Tariji P. Henson (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)
- Marissa Tomei (The Wrestler)
- Frieda Pinto (Slumdog Millionaire)

And the winner is........ Viola Davis for Doubt. She is only in the film for less than ten minutes but her five minutes overshadows the two power houses of Phillip Seymore Hoffman and Meryl Streep.


Best Supporting Actor
- Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight)
- Phillip Seymore Hoffman (Doubt)
- Michael Sheen (Frost/Nixon)
- Josh Brolin (Milk)
- Brad Pitt (Burn After Reading)

And I give the B-radley to...... Heath Ledger of course. But I will note that both Michael Sheen and Brad Pitt were deserving in their roles. I did not include Robert Downy Jr. in Tropic Thunder like the Academy Awards- it was a dumb movie, and his role was not that great, or Michael Shannon in Revolutionary Road (Because I haven't seen it yet.)

Best Actress
- Kate Winslet (The Reader)
- Meryl Streep (Doubt)
- Angelina Jolie (The Changeling)
- Anne Hathaway (Rachel Getting Married)
- Frances McDormand (Burn After Reading)

And the winner is . . . . . I will give it to Kate Winslet. The Reader wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be, but she was great in it. I have thought about this one long and hard (that's what she said) and at first I wasn't going to give it to her I was going to go with Angelina Jolie or Frances McDormant (who unfortunately wasn't even nominated by that other award show, which is a shame) but went with Kate Winslet because she really was great in a mediocre film. I would much rather her have won this for Eternal Sunshine or Finding Neverland but she is due for a win, I just wish I would have liked the movie better.

Best Actor
- Sean Penn (Milk)
- Brad Pitt (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)
- Frank Langella (Frost/Nixon)
- Dev Patel (Slumdog Millionaire)
- David Kros (The Reader)
or instead Clint Eastwood (Grand Torino)

And the winner is.......... I have to give it hands down to Frank Langella for Frost/Nixon. Frank Langella was amazing as Richard Nixon. I was amazed. Sean Penn's acting in Milk was good but way too reminiscent of his performance in I am Sam. Harvey Milk was gay, not mentally handicapped. He was good but not good enough. Brad Pitt was really good and I am mad that Dev Patel wasn't even nominated for his job in Slumdog by the Academy. I did not find Mickey Rourke's performance to be that great in The Wrestler. I was really disappointed with the movie. Maybe I was so distracted by Rourke's weird looking face to pay attention his acting, but I think it was over-exaggerated. David Kros was great in the mediocre film The Reader.

Best Film
- Frost/Nixon
- Slumdog Millionaire
- Doubt
- Milk
- The Dark Knight

And the winner is . . . . . . . Slumdog Millionaire. Yes it really was as good as everyone made it out to be. Followed closely by Frost/Nixon. Almost nominated was The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. See last post. But Slumdog wins it.

Best Flick
A flick is in no way a typical award winning movie but is still awesome and deserves some recognition.
- Role Models
- In Bruges
- Pineapple Express
- Kungfu Panda
- W.

And the winner is. . . . . . . . Role Models. It really was hilarious and probably the funniest movie of last year.

Well that is it for the first annual B-radley's. Let me know what you think and what I missed or should have changed.

2 comments:

mccall said...

pretty sure you only gave the award to heath ledger beacuse he's dead.

and you say american idol favored danny beacuse of his dead wife?

Chelsi Archibald said...

Good picks. I think I pretty much agree with all of these.