Thursday, July 9, 2009

True Confessions

True confessions is something one of my best friends says to me right before she is about to say something either really personal, personally embarrassing, or embarrassingly funny. I think that this post is going to contain a mixture of all of the above.
Embarrassingly Funny
I heart Michael Jackson. OK I said it, it feels good to say it publicly, because the last ten years it has been uncool to pop in an MJ cd unless it is Halloween and you are ripping Thriller for a bad A party. I am ashamed to say that I would have to jam to MJ when driving in my car by myself. If only you could see me bumping to "Beat It" or "Billy Jean" or "Smooth Criminal" or fill in the blank with any MJ song, for the last ten years you probably would have been embarrassed for me. Well guess what it is finally cool again to heart MJ. So suck it, now when you hear me blaring down South Temple with "The Way You Make Me Feel" following behind, please recognize my coolness, and take a moment of silence for the greatness that was MJ.
Personally Embarrassing
His death has had me thinking a lot. Like a little too much about death and how unexpected it is. I really feel bad for him. He was dealt a pretty tragic life. He had an abusive father, shoved into the spotlight at a young age, and had to deal with the never ending onslaught of fame and the public eye for all of his life. I have noticed with great musicians, when they reach this iconic level of amazingness, that they break. Each break differently in their own uniquely weird way (Elvis, John Lennon, Janis Joplin, Jimmy Hendrix, David Bowie, etc)where there musical Guinness takes a hold of them and they sort of lose touch with reality. Unfortunately for MJ this was all too public, all too misunderstood, and far too sad. I really think he was a good person, who did a lot of good for others, and changed music forever.

Really Personal
I blog a lot about how much I look up to my parents and family. They mean everything to me. But I think I don't tell some of my friends, who are true personal heroes to me, how much I look up to and admire them. So this part of the true confessions is going to be dedicated to a few of them. If your name is not listed here, don't flip out. I don't have the time to list everyone, just a few that I really need to tell them because I really want them to hear it.

Brianne:
I think it is amazing how fast that we have been able to become amazing friends. If you don't know her, or know her well, I really think that you are missing out. She is my hero because she has sacrificed so much of her life to take care of a little boy who needed a home and had no where else to go. She took him in, gave him the one thing that he really needed, unconditional love, and has given him everything. She literally has saved her little guy, and it is because of her that he will become an equally amazing person. You know in the scriptures you read about charity. Charity being the pure love of Christ. I think it is because it costs something, it requires a real sacrifice. She exudes what real charity is day in and day out raising a small boy as a single mom, and I hope she knows how well she does it. Also she is one of the funniest people I have ever met.

Wes:
I don't see or talk to my old roomie near as often as I would like. If you haven't met Wes, just know that he is one of the coolest people I have ever met. In all honesty, I never felt adequate enough to be considered one of his friends. And I am pretty awesome, and for me to admit that, should just tell you how awesome he really is. He is just one of those people who is naturally good at everything. He can play any sport, can play the guitar, sing, and everything else, better than you will ever be able no matter how hard you practice at it. I have probably played Wes in tennis over twenty times and have lost to him every single time. I hate losing. I hate it, especially at tennis. But somehow he never gloated about it. He is always just really laid back and chill and one of the most down to earth guys I have ever met. That is why he was able to marry Jesse, who equals him in the awesomeness I just used to describe Wes. Those two are so effortlessly cool, I was lucky to have Wes as a roomate and them both as people I considered to be really good friends who I really look up to, and hope to be cool enough to not feel inadequate when around them.

Leigh:
Leigh has this innate and unique ability to get people. All people. No matter who they are, what circumstances they may find themselves in, she gets them and understands them. I kick myself in the face for never being as good of a friend to her as she has always been to me. She is one of the greatest friends anyone could ever ask for.

Jaimey:
She just came back to visit and I am so glad she did. She just got married not too long ago to a cool guy named Jim who is in the armed forces. She sacrifices him everyday in order to ensure the freedoms that I enjoy every day. She has done this for a few months and will for a few more until he comes home. I find that amazing and inspiring. She is a constant reminder for me to pray for the military and for their families back at home, because without them, me and my big mouth would have landed me in the slammer in so many other countries. But because of their sacrifice I can live in the here and enjoy the freedoms that I have.

Cole:
This kid I miss big time. He was my best buddy in high school. I like to laugh so all of my best friends can make me laugh like no other. Gilfillan. You know how there are just certain people that you just kind of lose touch with, even though you don't want to, it just kind of happens, but when you do see them it is magically like it hasn't been two years since the last time you talked. He is one of those kind of people.

Christa:
One of my really close friends. Another sacrificer. She really gives so much to other people that it is really humbling for me to see how much someone will do for their family. I am so glad that we are neighbors and that we have become such good friends.

McCall:
Everyone at work knows why McCall is a hero. Work just isn't quite the same with her gone. I get really sad whenever I go into her old office. Sometimes I forget and come into work with something that I have to tell McCall and then remember and think crap, she is not there. I don't think she understands how helpful and cool she really is. Lucky people in Pittsburgh are getting her and her just as cool husband Tannon for the next few years. They better be greatful.

Anyways, I hope this post is coherent. It is almost four in the morning and me and my dumb insomnia are finally calling it quits for the night. Please, if your name was not listed here, don't get mad, I don't have all day to list everyone, I just needed to tell these guys this. You will probably get an honorable mention in a post at sometime in the near distant future. Just know that I appreciate you friendship.

3 comments:

mccall said...

Bradley, you just made me cry! Thank you SO much for that! You have no idea how much I needed to hear that. I was actually just thinking of you and how grateful I am for YOU. I just packed up a few things in a box that had "Brad's Box" written on it. It reminded me of how blessed I am to have such a caring friend. Seriously... you're the bomb.

You better believe that whenever I watch the shows that we discussed on a regular basis, I will be thinking, 'I wonder what Bradley thought about it'. Awww, I miss you.

Christa said...

awwww! thanks b-rad! you are an amazing friend! so glad my sister forced you into my life ;) I couldn't ask for a better neighbor and friend, which is why I am going to carry you in my pocket when I head back east. you have no choice! you are coming with me!

jaimey said...

Brad, I just barely saw this post tonight, and it has made me teary! You are so sweet. Thank you for your post and for your prayers. And for being my friend. :) Jim and I may be up in Utah sometime this winter . . . we'll have a party, of course. :)